Tuesday, November 16, 2010

From our kitchen to yours : Greek and "Japanese" Cuisine

Well hey there !

I really love cooking :) and thankfully I married a man who, like me, enjoys eating !  Here are two of our favorite meals ... enjoy !

Greek Roasted Chicken - Kotopoulo Fournou
My dad's side of the family is Greek.  Growing up we had many amazing Greek meals prepared by my Yiayia (grandma in greek).  My favorite, and the easiest to prepare is Kotopoulo Fournou it's the most American friendly Greek meal I've ever had so I thought it would be safe for Charles and oh me oh my does he love it !

Ingredients
Chicken (bone in or bone out breasts) the best is bone in quarters without the skin
Lemon Juice (plastic lemon or 2 fresh lemons)
Oregano
Salt and Pepper
or Cavender's Greek Seasoning (my favorite)
Butter
Olive Oil
Potatoes (any kind)
Baby Carrots

Okay to tell you the truth, I have never looked at a recipe or measured anything out for this meal (you can use the link above as I guide or just kinda go with it like me)

Preheat oven to 400
Grease a large pyrex baking dish (olive oil or cooking spray)
Cut off skin of chicken /excess fat (or leave on if you like skin, bone side down)
Cut potatoes into large cubes
Cut baby carrots in half 
Lay all items in Pyrex dish without overlapping
Lightly sprinkle olive oil over everything
Lightly sprinkle lemon juice on everything
Lightly sprinkle oregano, salt, pepper over everything (or just use Cavender's Seasoning)
Cube butter/margine place throughout the dish


Cover with aluminum foil and place in oven. 
Cook covered for 25 minutes.
Remove foil and cook for 35 mins or until potatoes have begun to brown/crisp
(If using boneless chicken breasts, start cooking potatoes/carrots about 20 mins before chicken or your chicken may be dry)



Remove pan from oven and enjoy !



American "Japanese" Hibachi Chicken
Soo Charles and I both LOVE Japanese food! WOW it's sooooo good ! I especially love the white sauce :)  Since we enjoyed this meal so much, I decided it would be fun to try to recreate it at home !

Ingredients
Boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bit sized pieces)
Vegetable oil
Soy Sauce
Teriyaki or Sweet and Sour Sauce
Rice (day old rice is best)
2 eggs
Zuchini/yellow squash or bag frozen veggies
White Sauce I made this months ago and keep it in an air tight container in the fridge







Get cold rice from fridge (left over rice) or cook rice according to amount desired/instructions (we cook 1 cup of rice ).  If cooking rice, I have found that if you let it cool to room temperature, it works better/tastes better so I put mine in the deep freezer to cool while I'm preparing the rest of the meal.


Sautee chicken in a tsp of vegetable oil on medium high until half way done. Add sauce to chicken, cover with lid and reduce heat to off or low)
Disreguard the messy stove :)


Scramble 2 eggs in a small pan (no salt/pepper/milk) just scramble into little pieces.  Take rice and mix in soy sauce to taste/a light brown color.  Heat a wok to medium low with vegetable oil in it, roll oil around to coat pan.  You can also use a really large saute pan and increase the heat



Add the rice to the wok to reheat/fry in oil.  Add the scrambled eggs once the rice is hot.  Take frozen veggies and cook according to package directions (I add a little soy sauce to them) and just cook them in the microwave.  Or saute zuchini/yellow squash in a pan with a little soy sauce/olive oil and set aside.



Turn on burner to heat chicken.
Plate a service of rice, chicken, and veggies, mix and enjoy !
I cover mine with our white sauce :)

YUM !

I caught Charles licking the bowl :) haha good thing he didn't have the camera or he would have caught me "face in bowl" too !

This is a messy dishes/involved meal but TOTALLY WORTH IT !

No comments:

Post a Comment