Wednesday, August 17, 2011

From our kitchen to yours : Dinner and dessert

These are two tried and true staples here at the Barrett household.

Dinner : Pasta with Sauteed Veggies and Balsamic Butter Sauce
Soooo I'm pretty sure I made up this meal one day when we had a lot of veggies (peppers and vidalia onion) in the house.  I always have pasta and chicken on hand so I played around and it turned out great ! We probably have this meal once or twice a month.  It's packed with veggies and covered with a light but flavorful sauce ... I really think you'll like it !


Ingredients
Cooked pasta - your choice (whole wheat spaghetti, bow tie, radiatore is our newest fave)
Lemon
Butter/margerine (whatever you use will work)
Balsamic Vinaigrette or italian dressing (we switch off, you could also add a little alfredo to make it creamy)
Chicken - cubed and sauteed
Veggies - we use green and red pepper, vidalia onion and carrots
Salt and Pepper



Directions
Chop veggies into semi large pieces, combine in a large bowl/bag and season with salt/pepper

Sautee veggies in butter, set aside

                                                      
Boil pasta and melt 3 Tbsp of butter in warm pasta,  add a splash of Balsamic Vinaigrette/ Itailian dresing set aside


Sautee cubed chicken breast in butter and a bit of your vinaigrette and a splash of lemon, set aside


Now you're ready to fix your plate !

First, lay a bed of pasta, then cover with veggies and chicken. mMm this meal is soooo good !
Charles' plate !

My plate, with extra veggie and a sprinkle of cheese :)
I had some noodles to use up so I boiled the oh so fun radiatore and now we have leftovers !

Charles will probably get to it before me :(

Dessert : Indian Boil Cookies (Aunt Ethel's Surprise)
i.e. No Bakes or Cow Patties

some of the ingredients
Such a simple cookie, and I always have these ingredients in the house!

1/2 C Butter
2 C Sugar
1/2 C Milk
4 Tbsp Cocoa
1/2 C Peanut Butter
 3 C Quick cooking Oats
 2 tsp. Vanilla


Add the first 4 ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil, and boil for 2 minutes. Stir in the next 3 ingredients and drop onto wax/foil paper. Let cool until set.


Warning : do not make when it's raining outside, my mom always warned me of this and I don't listen sometimes. But, the other day I tried it in the rain and well, the texture just wasn't right :(



No comments:

Post a Comment